Could You Make it on SubscribeStar? AKA The New Patreon?

Are you up to speed on the recent censorship drama surrounding Patreon? If not, I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the matter. It seems like there is a push to ban non-left opinions and content creators from the platform and it has received a lot of backlash.

This appeared on my radar, as I have been toying for a while with the idea of writing on Patreon. Instead of attempting to write a full book, I’d write individual chapters on a week by week basis and (hopefully) score enough subscribers to make it worthwhile.

Sadly, my writing is very non-PC. In this case, Patreon is out the window. However, a lot of Patreon users leaving Patreon in protest over recent censorship concerns, have started to set up shop on SubscribeStar.com.

SubscribeStar is a new-ish competitor to Patreon and new is good. New means a level playing field as far as competitiveness is concerned. As a bonus, several top Youtubers are giving SubscribeStar.com lots of free PR at the moment.

Of course, profits on platforms like SubscribeStar flow first and foremost to video and audio creators. However, I’m going to sign up and see how well SubscribeStar could allow me to syndicate my creative writing in 2019. If you are a writer or anyone looking to establish a new Youtube creator, you might want to do the same. Plus, it’s free!

Edit: More info on the Patreon debacle and some interesting parallels between how certain freelance platforms and Patreon approach banning users:

I’ve been considering signing up to Patreon since someone told me about it earlier this year. I’ve been so busy with my job and personal life, I haven’t even written or edited one chapter of any of my books; therefore, put everything on the back burner.

I wish I knew how to do videos. That is something everyone seems to be most interested in vice reading books. Sometimes I feel like the book or ebooks are slowly dying out and transiting to video books or audio books. I’ve never done either.

I’ll look into the subscribestar thing - - what’s the worst that can happen, I go nowhere with it! :laughing:

How in the world do you have time to find out all these things. Between work, my internet stuff, occasional goofing off, I never have much time get the scoop on these things. :tired_face:

Last year I imprisoned a small man from Normandy in my spare room. I whip him and withdraw food from for several days, should he fail to provide me with super relevant and actionable online research. He’s also exceptionally good at ironing. :slight_smile:

That’s a lie, of course.

Tell me about it. I’m a perpetual tomorrow person. Projects like my books and website, I tell myself I’ll go full steam with as soon as my paid orders from Fiverr ae out the way. This never happens. However, I need to kill this trend in 2019.

I’ve signed up to SubscribeStar. Now I just need to figure out what to offer. I’m thinking 4 chapters a month, downloadable ebook versions of the complete story so far, and maybe inclusions of subscribers as background charachters, maybe even full charachters.

Thinking about it, this could be good as a “damnit Andy! You must write now!” device. I mean I can’t just leave subscribers hanging. (If I ever get them.) The challenge now is figuring out a rock-solid schedule where I can fit everything in.

Anyway, I did the math. SubscribeStar only has about 200 content creators and there are already a couple of writers onboard. Then there is the bonus of a lot of those content creators being top (albeit in some cases controversial) Youtube creators. In this case, I’ve at least secured a spot among them. Now I just need to get in the supercharged productivity and creative zone.

I had to check out what it was. I sent a link to the site to a friend who has two talented sons getting a band off of the ground in Portland, Oregon.