Semi-retirement from writing

Taking semi-retirement from writing for a couple of years. Will focus on developing rental income. Time to get serious in life. Make real money.

So Mr. Investor, are you quitting the Dark Side cold turkey are you going to raise your prices higher and higher until no one orders anymore? Or maybe until you get enough less orders that you can take care of your rentals and write?

Aunt Vickie, writing was more like pocket money for me. Real money is in properties, which I’ve been neglecting. Time for me to grow up. I’m basically gonna sell one of my sites/land/plot and build a rental property on another. 4 apartments, each with 2 bedrooms, living room, dining hall and kitchen. That’s a major, major project, with a high risk/reward margin.

I’m not gonna quit Fiverr or my other writing projects, but won’t actively pursue new clients or new platforms. Even if I quit, I will quit as a Top Rated Seller. I’m bloody proud of that.

Truth be told, things have been bad on Fiverr recently, I’ve made less than $500 this December on Fiverr, and there’s only $300 more in the queue, but I don’t care anymore. I’ve moved on.

Also, I don’t check the Fiverr search page often, but I did this time after 6 months or so. My gigs only appear in the TRS page, on the 4th page in bestselling and nowhere under recommended. Also, I was surprised to see how the number of TRS has gone down. There are fewer than 10 TRS writers on Fiverr in the Articles and Blog Posts category, I’m one of them. (Not counting the Pros+TRS).

Anyway…

I just find a couple of people on the main forum, who I consider to be friends, irritating these days…

Good luck with your new venture, Investor. So you see E is a level 1 now. But he found a new love in the process, so he is more than likely happy anyhow. :slightly_smiling_face:

But is she made from wheat? Can he eat her and cut bits off her to barter for essentials when sales dry up?

I hate to sound pessimistic, but my rank and ratings plummeted when I stupidly didn’t go out of office when I broke up with my ex, or even when I was dying of salmonella poisoning. (Actually I did go OOO during the latter fiasco but by then it was already too late.)

It’s a slippery slide. That’s why I only date clingy older women with healthy pension plans. :slight_smile:

But how much do you actually need? Aren’t you rent/mortgage free and living in one of the worlds most low cost countries?

If I were you, I’d be looking at expanding/thinking about how you need to adapt to the market, not throwing in the towel. Challenges can be good sometimes and you do like to make a lot of noise about how good you are. :wink:

It’s about thinking like a bania (businessman) and not as a struggling artist.

Well, good luck with that.

But you never were a struggling artist - this will not be a successful experiment, at least one about life as a struggling artist v. bidnis hotshot. You don’t really need to “switch careers” as you already have a career as a businessman - well, a career apparently not regarded well in India, unlike… those guys?

Have your new big businessmen friends been seducing you with their loud chatter? You were speaking so disdainfully about their icky ways just a month or two ago. Would you like me to find your exact quote on reddit? It’ll be a bit tricky, but luckily, the subreddit’s pretty much dead :slight_smile: I see you deleted yourself. Anyway, doesn’t really matter, you know what I’m talking about.

Nothing like that…I have a couple of sites/lands/plots which I want to monetize, as simple as that. Next 1-2 years will be about that. Once that is done, I will get back to online/internet work in a big way. I have another 40 years ahead of me, I am not going anywhere. As I told my friend, there is no right way or wrong way, you just do what’s best for you under the current circumstances.

Why am I doing this now, and not before? What do I do with the money I make off the internet? I invest in the stock market. For next 1-2 years the stock markets will be very dicey here, go up and down, which is why I’m gonna stay off it.

So me working on the internet making money makes no sense. I would rather take a loan and develop two properties that I have owned for 15 years or more and convert them into rental income bearing assets.

One thing I miss in my life is not having rental income. I want to develop that -

#1: One land is in a residential area. I want to develop 6 to 8 2BHK studio apartments there and rent out to middle class families at 25,000 rupees/month each.

#2: Another plot is in a commercial area. I want to develop shops and offices there, and maybe make about 100k to 200k rupees per month.

That’s what I am gonna tell the bank manager when I talk to him about a loan. For collateral - same plots of land. They will be worth 1.5 times to 2 times the loan I want for them.

Anyway, Bangalore is a fast growing city and any land here is like gold. I am lucky, very fortunate, but if I don’t make the most of what I have, then what’s the point, right?

Do I need the money? No. I am rich, very rich, richer than 99.5% of Indians. But making money gives me a purpose in life. It is my dharma, my duty and it is what keeps me going. Anyway. It’s not like I’m gonna quit writing. If I get orders, I will still do them, but won’t go actively looking for new work.

Well, OK, we’ll see I guess.

I should probably go to bed if you’re up lol.

To be fair, you are talking about hiring an architect, property developer, plumber, electrician, lawyer, realtor, and marketing company. That is a lot of upfront investment. Self-managed projects also ALWAYS go under when dreamers rather than actual diggers try to co-ordinate everything. In this case, you will need a project manager and… Well, that just leaves you free to freelance!

If you really want to shake things up, why don’t you go back to school and develop your real word and/or online skills some more. - You could still do the property thing in the background.

I am not quitting writing.

My uncle is the architect. He is one of the premier architects in the city and someone I trust 100%. He built my house.

And he is going to do it for free for me.

As for the rest, I have made some very good, solid friends in recent years and I already know who to hire. My uncle will handle the technical/pricing details.

Me…I have to show that I am involved, that’s all…just make sure everyone is on the same page. There are many people involved. And arrange the finances. That is my role.

Well, good luck. I’m trying to do my own thing too. We can have a race to $10K if you want. :slight_smile:

I don’t know about that. Real estate is a very Indian thing. I think in terms of rupees here. For the internet I used to think in terms of $$$. Both are very different, require a different mindset.